Natural Noise (NRB event)
100% Natural Noise is the NRB program that the band has run since 2006. It usually consists of a two hour rehearsal/introduction to the band, followed by some kind of additional get-together afterwards.
Before the 2006-2007 school year, the Office of the First Year Experience (FYE) contacted the band about a new NRB program they were starting called "variable programming blocks," where incoming freshmen would have the option to walk in on any number of two hour events hosted by clubs on campus during NRB. The then-current officers jumped at the opportunity and decided to use the time as a toned down version of the typical first rehearsal, as they had all been pretty intimidated by their first rehearsal experiences. Since nobody knew what to expect little planning went into the first program, and there is yet to emerge more than a general idea of what this event should be. The progression of this event has been as follows:
- 2006: About 30-35 people that showed up, exceeding expectations. Everyone introduced themselves, and then the band played a handful of songs. After the rehearsal there was pizza and a showing of "Blast!" on the projector screen in West Hall 326, but only upperclassmen stuck around for the movie.
- 2007: There was a much larger turnout for this event than the previous year (around 50), causing introductions to be a lengthy procedure (it took about 45 minutes from the beginning of the program until the band started playing). About 10 people that were present went bowling at Uncle Sam Lanes later that night.
- 2008: The event was held with short introductions and a much bigger emphasis on playing music. Around 40-45 people attended this event, and afterward about 15 of those people drove to Prospect Park for a barbeque.
- 2012: The event was held at West hall, with the whole band going around and introducing themselves very briefly. The managers did a brief slide show to show what was involved with pep band and then the band played a handful of songs after. Upperclassmen brought snacks and stayed to socialize after the rehearsal.
- 2013: The event was held at J-building, with the band going around and introducing themselves briefly, saying their name and an interesting fact. The managers did a brief slide show to show what was involved with pep band, and then the band played songs, focusing on popular songs and cheers. Upperclassmen brought snacks and stayed to socialize after the rehearsal.
- 2014: Th event was held at J-building, with the band introducing themselves with name and major. The band played songs, focusing on popular songs and cheers. The managers did a brief slide show with information on pep band.