Times Union Center, Albany, NY
|Times Union Center|
|Distance from RPI||10 mi.|
|Venue name||Times Union Center|
The Times Union Center (formerly known as the Pepsi Arena, and before then as the Knickerbocker Arena) in Albany, NY is a former home of the ECAC Hockey men's hockey tournament. The arena seats 14,236 for hockey, but rarely gets more than 5,000. The TUC hosted the tournament annually from 2003 to 2010 after moving from Lake Placid, NY, with the tournament currently being held in Atlantic City, NJ.
From 2006 to 2008 the Times Union Center also hosted the in-season Governor's Cup tournament featuring RPI, Union, and two other rotating teams who were usually somewhat local to Albany. This tournament was later dropped due to poor fan attendance.
The Mayor's Cup game was introduced in 2013. The Mayor's Cup features Union and RPI. The games typically have a large turnout and end with the Mayor of Albany presenting the winning team with the Mayor's Cup trophy.
Where to stay
What to do
There's enough to do in Albany, but the idea is usually to get out as soon as possible.
- March 22, 2003: Despite not making the ECAC championship weekend, the band was invited to play outside the Pepsi Arena at the ECAC Fan Fest.
- March 30, 2003: The band was invited to play in front of the Pepsi Arena while fans filed in to watch the NCAA basketball tournament Elite Eight match up between Syracuse and Oklahoma. We were mistaken for the Oklahoma band by a large number of Syracuse fans.
- October 28-29, 2006: Governor's Cup tournament vs. Union (T 3-3, won shootout 1-0) and vs. Colgate (W 2-1)
- March 17, 2007: Quinnipiac men's hockey @ Clarkson (L 2-4)
- October 26-27, 2007: Governor's Cup tournament vs. Union (W 3-2) and vs. Colgate (W 2-0)
- March 21-22, 2008: Colgate men's hockey @ Princeton (L 0-3) and @ Cornell (L 2-4)
- March 28, 2008: Niagara men's hockey @ Michigan (L 1-5)
- October 24-25, 2008: Governor's Cup tournament vs. Union (T 1-1, lost in shootout) and vs. Robert Morris (W 2-1)
- January 26, 2013: Men's Hockey vs. Union (L 2-3).
- January 25, 2014: Men's Hockey vs. Union (W 2-1). The game ended with a massive brawl on the ice, with both team's coaches getting involved. Union's coach, Rick Bennett, received a 4 game suspension for his actions, while RPI's coach, Seth Appert, received a 1 game suspension. The penalty minutes totaled 125 minutes, with several players from each team receiving suspensions for the next game.
- January 24, 2015: Men's Hockey vs. Union (L 3-8).