United States Military Academy
|United States Military Academy|
|Location||West Point, NY|
|Distance from RPI||110 mi.|
|Venue name||Tate Rink|
Though Army left the ECAC following the 1990-1991 season, it is still common for RPI to play one game per year against them, typically alternating home and away. Army's hockey team is not particularly good, so this game is usually a blowout for RPI. In the games between 2001 and 2004, Army only scored a total of one goal.
The trip to Army (when the game is away) is one that should not be missed. West Point is only about two hours driving from Troy. This can easily be done as a car trip. The campus at West Point is absolutely beautiful, and overlooks quite possibly the nicest part of the Hudson River, unlike Troy.
Things to remember when going to USMA
Please remember that the United States Military Academy at West Point is an army base. As such, there are security measures in place that you will not see at any other venue, especially during times of war or conflict. When you approach any of the entrances to the base, you will be stopped at a security checkpoint manned with Military Police carrying armed M-16 assault rifles. It is their job to make sure that no one with bad intentions is allowed to enter the base. It is critically important to comply with the orders of these guards. Do remember, however, that the band has never had any problem getting on base, and getting through security is usually simple and fast.
To make things easier for both members and the guards when attempting to enter West Point, should security be tighter than usual, please follow these simple instructions:
- All members should have valid, government issued photo identification (i.e. a driver's license or passport). This identification should be readily accessible, should the guards ask that it be presented.
- When asked why you are coming to the base, reply with something simple and direct, like
We are members of the RPI Pep Band. We are here to play at tonight's hockey game between RPI and Army at Tate Rink.
- If the MPs ask to search your car, comply without hesitation. They will likely wish to inspect the trunk, including possibly looking inside any instrument cases you may be carrying. Be sure to remove any items from your vehicle that may be considered dangerous or may be used as a weapon. Additionally, do not carry any alcohol onto base. The MPs may also wish to inspect under the hood of your vehicle. The driver should know how to open the hood.
- The driver of the Union van should not travel alone. One passenger should ride in the other seat, in case the MPs wish to search the van. This will speed processing, as unloading and loading the van takes some time. NO ONE SHOULD RIDE BETWEEN THE SEATS OR IN THE BACK OF THE VAN. THIS IS BOTH DANGEROUS AND ILLEGAL.
- Should the guards deny you permission to enter the base, do not argue with them. Turn your car around as instructed and drive back out the entry road. Pull over and call a manager.
Please also remember that while at the game, you should be courteous and respectful to any other fans, more so than at other venues. Many of the fans are fellow servicemen and women, and deserve your respect.
DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, YELL 'RED' DURING THE PLAYING OF THE NATIONAL ANTHEM. This is highly disrespectful and will not be tolerated. Either stand silently, or sing along in a respectful manner.
At the time of writing, it is unknown if members that are not US citizens will be permitted on base. As it is not particularly common for there to be non-citizens in the band, this question has not come up. If this case does arise at some point in the future, the managers should call the USMA Athletic Department and ask about it first.